Recurring Lists?

Hello!

I would love to see recurring lists added to Clear! I can’t find this feature anywhere! How about a list that re-spawns after you complete it?? I think this would be amazing or at least a list that would respawn after a certain time passes or something.

Thanks!

5 Likes

We’re thinking about this a little bit, but trying to get a handle on the different kinds of use cases and such, curious if there is a simple solution that takes care of most cases.

(For example one possible angle is simply letting you swipe to check off a list in the ‘my lists’ level, or perhaps even swiping list title in the list itself as well, toggling everything inside checked off or on.)

Something simple + manual but quick and easy generally tends to be the right direction for Clear vs. more complicated rules or like ‘smart’ behavior.

Maybe others can chime in this thread what they might use this for and how they would expect it to behave in their case.

2 Likes

This might be one of those things that could be set up using iOS shortcuts

True, it does seem very power user-ey (I don’t really touch Shortcuts) but would be an interesting way to put some things out there in a way that doesn’t complicate the core experience of the app, and see how you all use them.

Please take a look at what the reminders app provides. We could do a lot with:

-find thoughts
-add new thought
-edit thought
-remove thought
-get details of thought
-open list
-create list

2 Likes

My most frequent use of Clear is for daily checklists, so it would be wonderful if they could reset when finished. Reinstating more than a dozen items in order is tedious. However, I found a workaround using the screenshot feature. I saved copies of the lists to Files. Now when I finish the checklist, I clear the whole thing, then paste in a new copy from the screenshot.

5 Likes

That’s a smart workaround.

I was just discussing some of this in another thread earlier, you might find this relevant: Two features I’d like to have - #2 by phillryu

1 Like

I would also love to be able to create fixed lists that reset every day.

But in this case, each list created would need to have a preferences section where we could define it as recurring or not. Or perhaps a selection when creating the list. Or even an option to activate this by dragging the list to the right. Or also a list preferences button next to the title within it.

And recurring lists wouldn’t need to have the archive and save the date options I suggested in Two features I’d like to have.

1 Like

This would also help with the archiving issue of having hundreds of items.

Have been dreaming heavy about this feature and how useful it would be to me, and so many others. Hate all the crammed-in features/buttons of all the other apps, but this one is just too helpful. Think the simplest implementation of it might just be dragging the list title bar to the side (where customizations used to be) to snap a :arrows_counterclockwise: and set the list back how you arranged it.

2 Likes

So it would kind of snapshot the current list? And toggling it again sets it back to default?

(And you check things off, and on clearing them away, they regenerate in this list?)

Or are you talking about like, you can snapshot and then somehow keep restoring to that state with an interaction?

Hard to describe, but like when you pull/prompt it, the contents would snap back to how it was last manually arranged before you started clearing?

I’m not a coder, so I figure you guys would just tinker and land on what is possible and makes sense. But this seems to work for varying use cases (daily/weekly/monthly, workout, bills, meds, packing, etc.) without having to clog up the interface with different options.

I have a daily ordered list I rely on that I would love if it would just reset at midnight, but I’d also be down to pull to restore each night/morning. It’s the manual unclearing and rebuilding of the list that’s the pain point. So for now I merely glance at it every day and don’t check anything off, which doesn’t end up quite as productive.

EDIT: Yeah haha I guess simply pulling to
clear could be the trigger too, duh.

3 Likes

I’m very interested in cracking this one, I think it will need a little space for us to tinker on it and feel out etc. so probably after we knock out some more straightforward stuff early on.

The current first take I would try internally is more or less a version of this. But perhaps accessible while in editing mode (keyboard up) for either a list title to affect the entire list, or a list item, for if you want to say make a few key grocery staples sticky vs. not for others.

And somewhat related perhaps do one final move of reminders to swiping past sticky option while editing, to avoid the awkward conflicts with checking off.

3 Likes

Reset-able list or list items would be great. I don’t have to-do items I do every day, but I do have items I need to get each time I go to the store. So mixing permaitems and one-shot items in ine list would be awesome.

Maybe these items could be indicated in a similar manner to using a colon for headings and a leading space for smaller type. And then only if that special character appears in the list, a refresh button—like the reload webpage button in Safari—would appear at the right side of the list title bar. Push the button and cleared permaitems reset. Oh! And the special character could be a leading at symbol @ because it is visually similar to the reload button. Maybe when entered the items appear bold or italic it something.

E.g.:
@eggs
@milk
Chicken wings
Hot sauce

Appears as
Eggs
Milk
Chicken wings
Hot sauce

Clear each as normal, then refresh when done. Cleared items disappear and permaitems repopulate the list.

Hi! I’m a brand new user - as in this is my second day! This is my main wish item. I am using this app in an attempt to motivate myself to get things done!!!

I already have 12 lists I created. However, what I need most is a list of things that I must get done in a day. And many of those things I will need to do the next day as well. For many days in the future. But in order to actually do those things I need to be rewarded. So I need to be able to not just check off but also clear it each day but then be able to have it reappear the next day! And what would be even better is if I could set only some items as repeatable because I do add things that only need to be done that day as I continue to get things done.

Hope that makes sense! :blush:

4 Likes

I would also love the addition of “recurring” items or lists, most of the lists I use the most are already made for the purpose of re-use.

I’m not sure if they’ve spoken about recurring lists/items being a confirmed future add, but if the new List Library eventually allows us to create/add our own list formats - we could theoretically make a “groceries” list format, save it there, and import the fresh list each time we complete the previous version. Here’s hoping something like that is in the works~

2 Likes

In terms of core listing functionality I consider recurring tasks the #1 I would love to finally solve for Clear. (And a meaningful part of the goal of getting most people to more regularly ‘pull to clear’ completed tasks as well.)

We’re going to need some space to prototype a couple directions and feel them out and such but I think we will take a stab within the next few months. Really want to get this right in its fundamentals when we ship a take on it.

@hei12 List Library will definitely head there (eventually) where you can add your own and probably edit the ones in the library too. Or drag out some items to copy them into a list.

3 Likes

Maybe have an item, for which we could pull past add reminder to make it recurring (new feature) and whether it’s crossed off by me or not, just leave it where it is in the list. So say i have “wash dishes” I had originally set it up as recurring somehow (new feature, lol) - but now, i just cross if off, like normal - but it stays in place on my list, crossed off. I uncheck it again, to restore it in place, in the evening, and can use it again the next day. I just keep crossing off and un-crossing off and since it was (somehow) designated as recurring, it stays in place on my list, whether it’s completed or not.

1 Like