Tap to select within Themes, Typography and App icons menus?

Apologies if this has already been asked/answered, but what is the rationale for using swipe to select options only within the Themes, Typography and App icons menus? When navigating through the other menus and submenus, the protocol is to tap to select lists/items, which feels far more intuitive to me. Tapping is an affirmative action (as in ‘I want to select that option’) whereas swiping to cross out is a dismissive action (‘I don’t want that option’ or ‘that item is finished with’). I think it just feels incongruous compared to the way the rest of the app functions.

2 Likes

This.

So many times I just tap a theme or font 2-3 times, then I remember that I have to swipe.

You are correct. Anything that has to do with settings/options should be tappable. Only tasks/lists should be swipeable.

Loved the use of word “protocol”, by the way! :+1:

2 Likes

Yeah we we were just keeping it simple/symmetric, but it’s probably stretching the definition of checking something off. We briefly looked into enabling taps for these menus last week but it is a little more involved than we hoped so slid down the list. But it is on our list.

1 Like

That’s years of muscle memory/pattern behaviour to rewrite…all top level options are a tap and everything else below that is a swipe?
I disagree on the swiping being dismissive - not every app has to work in the same way - granted it’s definitely helpful if they do so users don’t have to learn new mental models. This tweak for me is akin to the change of of how to go back on lists - the pull up or the button at bottom. For so long it’s been pull up and it was weird to not be able to do it. I think it’s one for personalisation versus a blanket change on app functionality

Sing hosannas! Just noticed tap to select themes is now enabled - feels so nice to just fly through the theme options tapping away and get instant feedback. Thanks!

2 Likes

Yep tap to select options is enabled in the latest TestFlight now!

1 Like