Font and padding - lack of consistency!

Same - I didn’t know about the text slider until this thread. Just glad you did the ‘dinking around’, it’s a time-saver :+1:

I have an update for you all on this one. We dampened the row height scaling for upper levels for tiny and small today (for the upcoming 2.1) because the people who pick those clearly want more info density.

Small:

Tiny:

I hope we’re hitting the right nail here.

4 Likes

Thanks for the update. I still think that the padding is way too much around the top name of the list area. I also think that that the lists below could still benefit from a padding reduction. Since I can no longer use Clear on my iPad or Mac, I use the medium font on my phone. I would love to be able to see more information and less space between list items.

I agree!

Not if you’re doing it in:
→ Settings
→ Accessibility
→ Per-app Settings

:+1:

That’s certainly better; will have to remember to undo when the next app version launches though! Smallest iOS text with largest CLEAR text works ok, but padding could still be reduced, imo.

Mer do you mind sharing a screenshot of what you see in the relevant screens you feel is too much padding? I just want to make sure the iOS scaling is not interfering.

Currently didn’t do any retunings to medium and not as sure if we will, I am actually pretty happy with how the rows scale in medium myself…! But I do know iOS dynamic font scaling turned up in 2.0.2 heavily exaggerates this row padding so wondering if that’s involved.

Sure, here are my views:

However, even in the small and tiny options, it feels to me like the padding is a lot, especially in the header column.

Would love to be able to see more list info and less empty space.

Oh yes. Ok so this is definitely iOS font scaling getting involved… so the 2.1 will just disconnect that for now so we can sanely tune this knowing it looks the same for you as it does for us per setting.

Until this is out, if you go to Settings app / accessibility / font scaling you should be able to tone it down, apparently even per app just for Clear, back to normal.

I have tried and reducing my text size in settings does make Clear look better, but then all of my other apps are too small.

Even with this settings turned off, like the screenshots shared above, there is a lot of extra space, especially in the header rows.

What kind of phone/notch do you have? The padding is somewhat tuned for dynamic island devices.

With font scaling there is a per-app option, so you could tune it just for Clear. Font and padding - lack of consistency! - #45 by iOS

But it is also intentional in the 2.0 in general for list title to have some padding, it gets kind of wonky in general squeezing stuff right at the top with notches/islands/curves at the top. And brings the top items a tad closer to your thumb etc. too.

iPhone 15

Increased information density via Tiny is certainly my main goal, but if I could get that with the Small font, I wouldn’t turn it down. Is a Padding slider something that could be added to Personalization → Fonts so people can tune it to preference?

1 Like