Testflight #2: Collectible Fonts & Loot Drops, NLP Reminders disabled for launch

I just issued a hot fix for the padding issues. I hope this resolves it reasonably for now!

1 Like

I just downloaded the update that supposedly fixes the “excessive vertical padding” problem, but I don’t see any reduction.

2 Likes

There’s probably some improvement, but we focused on medium font size especially this pass (and bringing down large/huge some too). Will take a look at the smaller font sizes coming up :+1:

1 Like

Yup, it’s still a bit big padding on the rows. They are still kind of too high and on some sections, font is still very big like on the attached screenshot:

If only the font could be smaller here and row a bit more dense.

But, the padding on the titles for each list is now looks better:

I think @Efthymis makes a lot of good points here.

Yesterday I happened to go back to Legacy Clear for the first time since adjusting to New Clear, and I was surprised to find how much snappier and cleaner the old Clear felt to me. I think New Clear has added some great and very useful new features (e.g. moving bulk items between lists), but the “feel” of the UI hasn’t quite made it over from Legacy Clear. Legacy is quick and responsive where New Clear feels a little laggy/clunky (maybe it’s just that the duration of animations are longer?)

4 Likes

That’s what made me worry when I tried the new version. I just cannot “feel it” like the old Clear. :frowning:

To be frank we haven’t ever done a final polish pass yet on animations and in general (though keep it reasonably polished as we go) and we’re reserving that for closer to launch. There are a lot of details we’re eyeing there to tone down or polish like pull to clear text explosion, stretching text elements and list opening animations etc. And there may be some optimizations to do.

2 Likes

Thank you for writing this post! I agree with a lot of what you have written based here above. Clear has so far been my favorite app on my iPhone, and I hope the new version will not be forced upon us if it does not meet the standards we have come to expect from the Clear app. My recommendation would be to keep the current version of Clear available in parallel with the new version until the new version can fully satisfy the existing users and their particular needs and requirements. I just posted a similar piece of text which also deals with the transition to the new version, which explains things which may or may not be of current relevance to you:

In any case, I wish each one of us will be able to continue to use the existing version of Clear as long as we need or want independent of the development of the new, very different, version!

Reading your post and the posts of some other people in these forums inspired me to create the following post:

Wouldn’t it be possible to just create a bunch of profiles in Settings? So far there is only the Silent Mode setting anyways:

• Legacy Clear mode (replicates font, all padding, transitions, animations, etc.)
  • Minimalist mode (no transitions, no animations, no distractions, etc.)
  • Party mode (rainbows, explosions, confetti, huge padding, stretching & opening animations till you drop)

I’m a happy camper by the way now that I have my favourite font set to tiny (iA Writer Quattro) and a couple of Themes I adore.

3 Likes

Just an observation. What’s happening to getting new themes/fonts after clearing a bunch of items? Has this been turned off in this TF version? I’ve been clearing a bunch of items and I haven’t got a single one theme/font.

1 Like

It has been changed, before there was a daily secret shop you could always access at 4pm or later, or trigger opening earlier in the day by I think clearing 10 completed items.

The new system is more random, and currently tuned to drop something ~ every 100 cleared items or so. It is probably tuned to be too rare out of the gate and will need adjusting.

I’ve been starting to understand there are quite a few users who very rarely or almost never clear completed items so we were going to layer on protection for that next. Like if it’s been 24 hours since last clear, boost your next clear chance by 2x. Or if it’s been 72 hours+ boost by 4x.

2 Likes

I’m one such user. I just like seeing my completed items for reference. I’ve been using Clear as an item/objective checklist for Tears of the Kingdom.

But now that I found out you only get themes via clearing I’ve begun to clear them. Also, for me personally it’d be nice if when you archive a list all the completed items are there.

Because currently if I clear items then archive the list it’s essentially useless if I ever want to unarchive it. It’s just blank.

Side note, swipe to delete straight from the list view would be cool too if possible. As right now it’s very tedious and the only way to delete a list is to then go into the archive view.

Yep that is a bug we will fix (lack of delete in the lists view). Thinking about the clearing thing. I think there’s a couple ways to go. One is some kind of way of making certain items ‘sticky’ or ‘rituals’ that regenerate on clear. Another might just be enabling some chance of loot for the act of checking off too. And I agree there is something to potentially consider/explore in the thought of cleared items going to some section of the archive or something.

Ah okay. Thank you! I think loot unlocks on swiping could work but I understand that the core action of the app is “clearing” so perhaps the loot chance could be lower and clearing multiple at once is the higher/normal chance? Just brainstorming. Perhaps another way is a better way to go about it or equal loot chances for all.

1 Like

Maybe deletes could count the same as clears for unlocks? I’m a deleter most of the time, I hardly ever pull to clear.

I think that’s a possibility yeah, more like clearing away checked items is a bonus final roll. @r1y3 deletes I’m less sure on! I feel like most people delete things they weren’t able or interested in getting done etc. so feels like that would go against the spirit of the rewards. I encourage you to try checking off/clear you might be missing out on some bonus satisfaction! :smiling_face: