Important regarding fonts and text formatting

I’m a long-term user of your amazing Clear app, so I really appreciate all efforts to keep Clear fully reliable.

(I wanted to check out the newest beta version of Clear using the link I have received from you, but it said “This beta is full.” So I haven’t yet been able to have a look at the beta version.)

I use special manual formatting for a significant amount of the text I add in Clear, so for me it is super important that I can keep this same formatting in the new version of Clear as I use today based on the text size setting I have chosen in my iPhone’s system-wide iOS settings (iOS: Display & Brightness / Text Size: smallest setting) — which also controls the text size within the Clear app.

In other words, I need to make sure the EXACT font and font size and automatic line breaks/text width that I use in the current version in Clear will be available available and look precisely the same in the new version of Clear as they do in the current app version, so that all letters stay in the same place in each row of text just as they are currently formatted. Otherwise it’s just total mess.

So if I have written a long string of numbers consisting of hundreds of digits—without any spaces in between–these numbers will land in the exact same places in the new app. I.e. the line breaks end up exactly where they are in the current version. Can you please confirm this?

Thank you for taking the specific needs of your current users into consideration when making any adjustments.

This is fascinating. I’ve agreed with you in other threads, but here I’m very curious about the reason for the specificity of this request.
Unfortunately I think this is orders of magnitude more difficult than it seems, and unlikely to be a priority for the devs.
I’m reminded a bit of this XKCD, “Workflow”.
Best wishes. Still hoping that Clear 2 doesn’t overwrite the legacy version.

1 Like

I care a great deal about design. Both in terms of usability AND in terms of aesthetics. That’s why I chose Clear above other apps in the first place, and that’s why I care about Clear so much to this day. I use Clear for many different things. For simple things such as to-do’s where text formatting isn’t much of an issue, but also for many other things where text formatting is very important (without going into long explanations of all the broad-ranging use cases, ASCII art may serve as one simple example). Clear as an app appeals very much to me as a lover of great design, and I really wish it stays that way. The New Clear in it’s current state doesn’t live up to the quality of the Legacy Clear, but I hope and believe the team behind Clear has the ability to raise the quality of the New Clear to the level we are used to before it replaces the Legacy Clear. We are all unique individuals with unique use cases. Some may only use Clear for simple things such as to-do lists. Others have realized it can be used in a lot of different ways thanks to its simplicity, design and ease of use, which makes it a pure joy to use for many different use cases (some of which require specific text formatting etc).

In any case, my primary concern is similar to what you express, “that Clear 2 doesn’t overwrite the legacy version”. Well, not until the New Clear is good enough to fully replace the Legacy Clear according to its current and long-term users. In case you haven’t already seen it, here is a thread where this exact suggestion is being discussed: