Search bar for long lists

Can you please add a search bar for long lists (checked or unchecked)?

5 Likes

This has been a recurring one. Iā€™m not entirely sure where to tuck it away without annoying the times you donā€™t need it, but maybe itā€™s possible our upcoming gesture shortcuts could somehow accommodate. (Search UI feels a little tricky though to do right within our minimalist framework.)

For the people who want this, how much of your needs might be satisfied if we supported your lists coming up in general iOS Spotlight search?

4 Likes

Any chance of a search function this time around? Having used Clear before for note taking and archiving useful links, I found that the lack of search became an increasing liability. Or is it there and I just didnā€™t see it?

2 Likes

Merged your post here to a similar thread, let me know what you think of my reply above.

2 Likes

I agree, I think this is a critical feature. A lot of apps have it built with a pull-down from the top (think iOS Spotlight, Things 3, Due). I think itā€™s a much more intuitive gesture to pull down to search than to pull down to go back. I think to go back should tap at the top, edge swipe, or press and hold.

1 Like

Is there anyway to incorporate a search function to go straight to that line by entering a keyword. This would be amazing if you have lots of info to wade through. Like tags. Maybe you can have a shake to search function which brings up a search bar.

2 Likes

Merged your request here. Will be thinking on this one, I do think itā€™s probably complicated enough to get right that itā€™s unlikely to make it to the initial release. But perhaps in the updates roadmap.

Since we now have a swipe gestures on the list title for personalisation. Could we make the list title sticky and then swipe right to bring up the search?

4 Likes

For me, Iā€™m not so concerned searching for the names of list themselves, but finding items within the lists.

For long lists, such as books - which seems evergrowing, Iā€™ve found myself using notes apps instead to prevent me adding duplicates. Would be nice to have them in Clear app instead.

2 Likes

I donā€™t think I would need it muchā€¦ but I do think that the iOS spotlight search would be the best way to handle it.

1 Like

I havenā€™t found myself wanting a search feature, but if it existed in the app, I think I would expect it to be in the main menu: Lists, Shared, Archive, Search, List Catalog, Personalize, Getting Started.

July is a delayed responseā€¦. sorry, but the search function is truly something wanted, needed in old ā€œClearā€ and still needed today! ā€œA later releaseā€ would mean Uncle release without it.

1 Like

I get why a search function is a popular request. And Iā€™m not necessarily against it.

I have a good number of lists in Clear and I feel like if I ever need to search across all of my lists, then at that point I might be using Clear more like a database than a task manager.

I just donā€™t have an elegant ā€˜native to Clearā€™s visual aestheticsā€™ UI in mind yet for the searching, but it feels like it could be a gesture action to trigger it, which solves one side of this. (A way for people who want this feature to use it without it distracting others from the simple zen side of Clear.)

Maybe it just pops up the keyboard with the search bar integrated more iOS visual style on top of it. (And then filters as you type, to show only the items or lists that include the search phrase?)

3 Likes

Can you have Siri trigger the search? ā€œHey Siri, search Clear pleaseā€ and it brings up the iOS keyboard with search integrated as you suggested?

2 Likes

Hmm possibly though we havenā€™t looked into Siri integration. But I would not feel OK if Siri was the only way. (I have mixed feelings about how well Siri works in my life :sweat_smile:)

1 Like

Spotlight search would be very helpful, feels like it would a great way to balance the needs of folks who want search and the minimalist ethos that we love about Clear

3 Likes

iOS spotlight search would be better than nothing - count this as a vote for that at minimum

3 Likes

Iā€™d also like a search function.

I agree a search bar / search UX doesnā€™t completely fit the Clear aesthetic.

Came here to suggest the same thing as Lefty above - could you make Clear indexed by iOS Spotlight?

I believe Apple makes this quite easy Core Spotlight | Apple Developer Documentation

I believe then a user could search for text in their lists from the iOS Home Screen - without having to be in Clear at all - and have a search capability without having to clutter the appā€™s UX. Available to power users; tucked away out of sight for anyone who doesnā€™t need it.

5 Likes

Some people have mentioned searching within a list but my issue is not remembering which list I put something in so that wouldnā€™t really help me

Spotlight search would be a big help

2 Likes