Import custom fonts

I use an iOS design app that lets me easily import/open downloaded font files. Could it be a possible option with Clear at some point?

3 Likes

I need to google into this but that’s a very cool idea. What’s the experience like with that app? Like you open a font file in Files app into it?

1 Like

Yep! I just download a font file, open it in the files app and press the app icon in the iOS share sheet.

The font is then automatically added to the app and available to use in the editor.

1 Like

Got it, yeah I was reading stuff about how apps can install fonts for all iOS apps too now… I guess another layer or angle to this that we could possibly support. (Not Clear installing its fonts to other apps, but more that you could use font apps to add to iOS then use in Clear.) Will check it out, if it’s low hanging we could definitely get to it in an early update.

3 Likes

That is a little messy. Downloading things and other apps to import fonts.
I much prefer the way it is now, much simpler and cleaner.

But hey, this is just me! I love walled-gardens if they are beautiful and well-cared! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Fantastic, Thanks for looking into it! It’d be dope if it works and would be an excellent additional option for those who want to use it.

1 Like

I think the simplest version is just enabling opening font files into Clear. And they could add to your font list that way, I guess with some more generic ‘imported font’ icon. This would be very invisible for people not interested so I think it feels pretty good to consider.

No interest here in opening up the other collectible types in some analogous way, but since there are so many fonts out there that may even be free for personal use but we can’t afford to license etc. it would be quite cool on the personalization side.

7 Likes

Effectively this feature will also allow non-alphabetic fonts to be customized. I’d be happy too if it were implemented that way.

3 Likes

I just want to note we did scout this out and it is kind of gnarly. Unless I’m missing something (tested with Goodnotes/font files in Files) I can’t directly open a custom font into the app. It really seems like a whole thing where you have to download iFonts or some other app that’s registered to install fonts etc.

Is there anyone here installing custom fonts on iOS like that already for other apps? Curious there. The next simplest thing we could look into is exposing system fonts by default in your list, though we would probably want to flag off a lot of the built in ones that aren’t so great and would flood the list.

1 Like

I tested out a bit and found two types of ways to install custom fonts.

Type A apps (Goodnotes, Ulysses, Day One) need an installer app from the App Store, where you select some fonts and then the fonts of your choice become available in those apps.
Type B app (previous version of Ulysses) lets you open .oft and .ttf files. You can open downloaded font files in the Files app via share sheet, and choose the font in the custom font menu of the app. It must be noted that this section doesn’t show the other system and user-installed fonts like the A apps do, but instead only the fonts I installed this way.

In a totally lay person’s view, considering all the modern apps support the A method and the B app can’t use the fonts installed by installer apps, the B method is a thing of the past and possibly replaced by A. Personally speaking I’m fine with the way the A apps work though. Hope this makes sense and helps.

2 Likes

That is super helpful, and yeah especially the note about previous/current versions of Ulysses.

Will keep this in mind, there are a number of things related with fonts we’d like to get to. (Personalized fonts in widgets, a smooth slider for font size etc.)

3 Likes

I installed a Hoefler & Co. font on the iPad some time ago (when the feature first appeared), but it needed to be more widely supported in apps. So I didn’t use it. And almost forgot about it. However, I would like to use fonts like those from Hoefler or Adobe (Add fonts to CC Mobile).

2 Likes

Is this feature added to Clear? :roll_eyes:

1 Like