Font Request Thread

That seems like sound advice. I’ll hold back on distributing this one…

Obligatory disclaimer: I’m not a lawyer. But I am a dev, and would never consider using a piece of code/font/whatever without knowing that my bases are covered. Particularly not for anything that will see commercial use.

1 Like

Yeah I’ll be careful about this. Generally we did license for mobile app commercial usage or sourced from google’s free font collection.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip, I can’t believe I’ve never heard of that one. I’m always on dafont

1 Like

Have you considered adding Espy Sans? It’s the last bitmap-only font made by Apple, used in the Newton and the iPod Mini.

Someone even tried to make a revival that kept its original spirit: Espy Sans Revived

2 Likes

The revival looks promising with its licensing! That’s cute that they reused it in iPod mini.

My dad had a Newton, I remember discovering it one day when I was a kid in its case and playing around with it for some time. Was thinking about it the other day while trying the Vision Headset :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

don’t know if this licensing works, but this would be great:

1 Like

Would like to see more fonts available in the app. Seems like most are all caps styled fonts, would like more traditional fonts that are unique in their own way. A bit more professional edge to them but at the same time nice to look at. Hope to see more font options in the shop soon?

3 Likes

Yeah it’s been a few weeks since I last went font shopping/hunting. The tough part is a lot of the ‘app licensing’ can be very expensive, so honestly there is a deal hunting/value side right now too. (Or if a free font and not on google fonts etc. can be difficult to vet that it’s 100% good for our use.)

If anyone is hungry for more fonts you might want to take a look through bundles on this site:

https://creativemarket.com/search/bundle?categoryIDs=3

If there’s a good deal at the app licensing tier let me know! (Found a nice big discounted bundle a few weeks ago that ended up at like $20/font I think.)

1 Like

Did you get anywhere with the Game Boy font? :crossed_fingers::pray:

I have it downloaded but there has just been kind of a growing list of smaller things that we need to attack in a pass, probably wanted to sanity check on licensing for that one before we build it in and ship.

Right now there’s been a couple projects in the works behind the scenes that we’re trying to wrap up, List library and on-demand asset loading for graphic themes. (First event prep kept us pretty busy too.) Then I feel like we’re probably in a good place to catch a breath and catch up on some smaller things, some new rewards etc.?

1 Like

You’re definitely doing the right thing in checking the licensing for the font - I’m just glad to hear it’s still under consideration! Please don’t think I’m nagging for that font - I totally understand you must have a massive to-do list with all of the requests coming in and it’s relatively small-fry by comparison. But it would really make that loadout complete, so, y’know… :wink:

1 Like

I think it would be cool to have fonts by theme.

I really like (and have one) poster which is all about the Alphabet of Sci-Fi.

Would be cool to have this kind of approach by theme as a font :slight_smile:

There is a bunch more here: Alphabet of Sci-Fi - A-Z of Sci-Fi Print – Dorothy

2 Likes

Do you mean mixing fonts in one like that? Well, I think it would be possible if there was someone making a set like it that’s licensable etc.

It does give me ‘blackmail letter’ vibes, like cutting up and pasting letters together, font like that would be a fun one as well.

1 Like

Yeah. Those letters represent the movies, but there is one for music and such. As you do thematic shop days I think it would be fun :slight_smile:

1 Like
3 Likes

That’s pretty iconic. I am going to go ahead with a couple of these free fonts from dafont.com, they do seem reasonably safe.

1 Like