Clear 2.2.5 (iCloud backups & experimental support chat)

Clear 2.2.5 is now available on App Store.

The main feature is daily iCloud backups, which Clear will now start making automatically the first time you use it each day. (It’s a rolling set of backups so it won’t fill up space endlessly.)

This is largely meant to be invisible and catch people who uninstall the app and reinstall it later, or on a freshly set up new phone or device. In that situation once Clear detects an existing iCloud backup, it should popup an option to choose one to restore to, similar to setting up a new iOS device with full device backups in the cloud.

It’s not built for syncing purposes, which is in the works separately.

Please report any issues! We’ve had one report of the ‘invisible back button’ becoming visible again, which may be a bug related with a tutorial flag not being properly carried over. Will be investigating that today.

Something else on our radar with some testing help from the community is, this feature requires iCloud Drive to be turned on. Thinking about how to make this situation clear for those with the feature turned off, which would disable our backups being stored.

2.2.5 also includes an experimental Support Chat shortcut that will open an iMessage to us. This is planned to be temporary and we hope to figure out the FAQ’s and sharpest corners over the next few weeks, so we can better handle them in an upcoming onboarding pass.

5 Likes

I Have iCloud Drive turned on… Is there a folder in my iCloud Drive that should appear labeled as Clear? if so, I do not see it…

It’s hidden, it’s possible you might be able to access it on Mac or something viewing hidden folders but not sure off the top of my head.

You can use this support URL though to check and see if backups are being made:

https://tinyurl.com/ywu8wy5p

I have a visible back button. If there’s anything I can provide to help let me know.

2 Likes

try changing your theme… that did the trick for me… no more back button constantly on.

2 Likes

Will do, if you use the new “Support Chat” option in the home level and just send that same message we can reach out there if questions come up.

Thanks! I had tried that before but doing it in combination with repeatedly backing out of lists eventually made it go away. Tapping back a lot without changing the theme, which I tried first, did not make it go away.

2.2.6 should be available with a fix for people who lost rewards progress. I do think there’s something funky going on for some people where it’s resetting the invisible back button onboarding flag, so will continue looking into that!

2 Likes

Is it possible to manually trigger this? Mine probably still hasn’t generated one because installing Clear on another device didn’t restore anything.

1 Like

Do you see one on your main device if you use this support link? https://tinyurl.com/2mzx9nau

If not let me know if your iCloud Drive is on or not, it requires that.

Updated and also getting a back button that won’t go away, even if I change themes. Also not really a fan of the added arrow in the button; seems a little much, IMHO.

1 Like

Yup, that worked! What’s the trigger, though? Is it 00:00? I’d be over the moon if there were a “support link” for a manual dump. :laughing:

I think what happened is it should be making a daily backup first thing you use it each day, however there is a 24 hour timer before it makes the first one.

This was implemented because we wanted to avoid brand new fresh installs immediately being backed up, but there’s probably room to polish or another angle to this.

I will note we have also updated the support URL for exporting your Clear 2 data into a file it can read: https://tinyurl.com/2m7h4uar

In that it should now include your reward progress, settings etc. where before it only backed up your lists and theme collection.

1 Like

Can you message me at phill@impending.com? There’s some bug definitely that might be resetting that onboarding flag for some of you, I believe backing out from a list will fade it out each time but I’m curious if I can figure out anything more here to reproduce it here.

Thank you, it’s perfect for my needs. :blush:

Hey Phill, hope all is well. Quick question regarding the daily iCloud backups, is this separate from the iPhone’s full “iCloud Backup” feature which backs up your entire device? In other words, if I turn iCloud Backup off, get a new iPhone, and start using Clear, should it restore data simply from iCloud? (And just to confirm, I do use iCloud otherwise and Clear is enabled in the list of apps in Settings → Name → iCloud → Apps Using iCloud, Show All.)

2 Likes

This is correct, if you sign in on your new phone with the same iCloud (and have iCloud Drive on, both devices) it should include these new daily backups and let you restore. Apologies on the late response!

2 Likes

Reporting a low-quality icon for Luminova.

1 Like

That is pretty bad! Let me note that here to David.

Installed clear on a new device. Is there a cloud backup of all my themes/icons/fonts?
They are missing on new device.