Clear Widgets Development Thread (WIP, targeting mid-February)

At least Microsoft only ‘mostly’ screwed up wunderlist, but at least it’s not full of rainbows and crap.
If you won’t delete on request then allow me.
Christ, even the forum has achievements…

If someone’s biggest achievement for the day / week is swiping left 5 times, they need more help than a todo list can provide.

You really hid the ‘delete forum account’ button well.
I don’t have time to play find the exit, so if a mod would be so kind as to nuke my existence from here, i’m sure we’ll all be happier.

I banned this guy from the forums. First person ever to justify this, so I hope it unlocked an achievement for him.

14 Likes

I am not able to add widgets ever since the IOS update.

Clear list app doesn’t show up on the widget list or programs.

1 Like

The app does not support widgets yet.

I was about to see all the clear list reminders on swipe right screen. It disappeared after the latest iOS update

Widgets are coming back in this 2.1, probably by sometime next week. Though I forgot, Clear 1.x had a widget just for reminders? That does sound useful, might have to patch that in in a separate upcoming update.

3 Likes

Yes the swipe right screen showed all clear list reminders. I don’t remember from which version but it’s been there for a long time. Glad to hear widgets are coming back. Thank you.

2 Likes

Hi @phillryu, I just wanted to chime about my experiences with the beta:

1. I quite like the widgets, they are a great addition and look fabulous on the iPhone homescreen as well as on the macOS desktop
  2. I might actually prefer the widgets to be non-interactive. The fact that a tap brings me right into the displayed list is fast and convenient. I don’t think there’s a need to make the widget interactive, or at least give the user the option to keep the widget in its current “non interactive” state.
  3. sync between phone and macOS desktop works flawlessly
  4. when editing the settings on the macOS desktop widget it seems to refresh to fast, so that I get kicked out of the settings dialogue.

In case I should provide video or elaborate on anything, please let me know, and thanks a lot for bringing Clear back to life :heart:

3 Likes

Great to hear overall, and thank you for testing.

It could be helpful if you could capture a quick video of that issue you noted in 4. I’ve definitely noticed it can be a little wonky, I would describe it as ‘bluetooth weirdness’ type stuff here and there. It’s possible it’s just iOS widget weirdness we can’t fix and innate to the whole wirelessly syncing from iPhone setup, but I’m curious in case there’s stuff for us to fix.

We’ve been testing interactivity and checking off here with the widgets. This will likely ship in 2.1.1 separately, but I’ll feel out that issue/concern. (The way it works is you tap along the left margin to check/uncheck things, it is a fairly localized tap target. Rest of the widget still taps into the list.)

2.1 should be on track for submissions sometime next week. Will see if we can get an updated TestFlight up for the weekend with some of the other things for it.

The ‘useless themes and cosmetic junk’ are now actually raising enough funds to actively develop updates for this app, for the first time in almost 8 years

I’m very surprised by this, as being part of the not interested group. Well, obviously and happily, not everybody has the same needs and requirements.
Congrats for having anticipated this awesome surprise.

3 Likes

Thank you!

Yeah it’s true it’s not a perfectly efficient business model in the way that I can see even most Clear users not being particularly into this side enough to regularly shop.

But part of our indie perspective is like, we don’t have to operate with this mentality that everything has to be perfectly efficiently monetized. In fact we kind of know that would probably ruin Clear, in the same way that if we relentlessly pursued the largest possible audience for our app, it would become… exactly the same garbage as the other big todo apps out there.

So if Clear is just able to find enough people who love this optional shop/collectibles/personalization side along with the app’s utility to sustain active development so we can keep improving Clear further and further, and this is enabling a good experience for everyone, that’s all that really matters.

7 Likes

I guess it’s worth noting I just happen to be this type of person myself, like the very first online thing I ever bought was giving my middle school friend cash to buy me some Diablo 2 items on eBay :laughing:

And during the pandemic my Animal Crossing decor got a shoutout Animal Crossing Inspiration on Instagram: "I‘m ready to move in 🍪🌿 #acnhidea by: phillryu (Twitter)"

So it was very much designing something that I would find appealing in that way and straightforward in that sense.

2 Likes

For those of you testing, I just pushed out a new build.

• Widgets
  • Per-List Themeing support (find at bottom of theme list)
  • Daily Quote Push feature
  • Disabled iOS font scaling
  • Small/Tiny row density tunings
  • Other bug fixes

I have also upped the tester count some if anyone wants to help test the latest additions like per-list themeing and daily quote push:

Report back with any issues! Shooting for Tuesday/Wednesday submission.

2 Likes

Can I TestFlight, and then after testing simply re-download Clear from the App Store without losing data or reward progress?

1 Like

Generally I recommend staying on TF then moving back to App Store when the 2.1 is out there. I don’t think there’s a huge risk with this one but also I don’t ever really want to encourage people going back and forth to older builds!

If it helps we hope to have the 2.1 out on App Store by Wednesday or so, assuming final wrap up and submission goes through smoothly.

2 Likes

I bounce back and forth between them every morning to check what’s in the shop

2 Likes

On the new beta that’s no longer tied to the system font size, how do I get it back to a similar size to before? Small and Medium are either too large or too small relative to the way it was before.

Never mind, I rolled back to the previous build and all was the same. I had just forgotten.

1 Like

Agreed! This is very cool and bring a little life and color to your home screen

1 Like

really liking the widgets, and im not sure if I want them to be swipe able, as someone else said, clicking on it to open the app is just as fast. for me its more about the widget reminding me than it is about not opening the app.

I was thinking it would be good if you could change the list easily, but there’s an easy and good workaround. Instead of adding the widget directly, add a Smart Stack. delete all the other widgets in stack, and add one widget for each list. then you can just swipe up or down on the list to change it.

1 Like