App icon numbered badge for specific task list

This was a feature I really liked in the previous version of clear. You could set the Home Screen icon to show a numbered badge for the number of tasks yet to complete in the list you selected in the app

Would be cool to have something like this working in future

9 Likes

I agree it would be very useful to me too

Iā€™ll keep an eye on this thread. I will admit I intentionally left this one out, as a part of rebooting to a simpler and more zen place. (I feel like this is one of those settings more people turn on than they shouldā€¦ if that makes any sense. Similar reason we keep resisting adding more nesting levels to lists.) But Iā€™m curious what the community consensus ā€˜most missed featuresā€™ will end up being as more people try out the new Clear.

1 Like

Just from my own perspective Iā€™m definitely in a more zen state of mind if I can know Iā€™ve done all my tasks for the day without having to open my task app to check I havenā€™t forgotten anything!

Otherwise Iā€™ll be regularly opening the app just in case I missed something important

Having Home Screen app icon badge numbers is honestly one of the features I look for in a good task app

2 Likes

Throwing my name into the ring in support of this.

Iā€™m ruthless with turning off badges; I think in the majority of cases, they either donā€™t give enough information, where a notification would be better, or they give almost no actionable information, and should be turned off. When I see peopleā€™s phone screenshots with e.g. email apps with badges in the thousands: why not just turn it off? You know you always have unread mail, and youā€™re just going to check the top of your inbox when you have time. Make your home screen a little nicer. (anyway, sorry for the distracting rant)

However, an implementation like Clearā€™s, where you have to intentionally turn on the setting and choose a list, seems to be a more mindful implementation. A badge could actually tell you whether you have more errands that need to be completed today, or if youā€™reā€¦ Clear.

That said, I feel like the eventual home screen widgets will supplant this feature for most. Seeing not just how many uncompleted tasks there are, but what the first 4ā€“6 actually are, would be great. Also, being able to glance at multiple listsā€™ counts. Itā€™s something I really look forward to, personally.

2 Likes

I agree, this would be a super handy feature.
My main use case is displaying a badge with a count of unfinished items on my ā€œTodayā€ list.

A key point is not to overwhelm people with showing a count for every unticked item in Clear, but to let users explicitly select a list. Maybe allowing the count to include even more than one list like ā€œTodayā€ and ā€œGroceriesā€ could be an option, but Iā€™m wondering if this should require to show an indicator on lists whether they contribute to the count badge.

1 Like

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here. Iā€™ve used Clear since 2012, almost everyday, perfectly happy with the original version. What Iā€™ve always liked is the minimalism of the app. Yet I was curious about testing the beta version, so here I am :slightly_smiling_face:
I agree with Paul, who initiated this topic. What immediately struck me when I saw the first screen of the beta version is that the numbers on the right of each list are no longer here. They are important to me, so I guess Iā€™ll get back to the original version if the number of unfinished tasks for each list donā€™t come back on the new version.
Apart from that, I find everything else quite cool - though I havenā€™t figured out yet how you can get more themes and iconsā€¦

Iā€™m coming back from the classic version and really liked having the number of tasks next to each list. I was also a fan of the badge number on the home screen.

Would it be possible to add an option toggle in a future update?

I noticed swiping a list to the left allows for deleting or archiving. What if swiping to the right toggles for task numbers to be shown or the list to be prioritized (starred)

Itā€™s great to see Clear being given a new lease of life! Itā€™s been my daily driver ToDo list app since it was first released and I havenā€™t found anything thatā€™s half as good. So thank you! :pray:

Iā€™d also add my vote to this feature. App badges drive pretty much my entire working usage of my phone. It means I can see everything I need to do/respond to at one glance of my Home Screen. I donā€™t use Widgets myself for the same reasons of simplicity and zen. No badges showing means nothing to do which means time to relax! :sunglasses:

Echoing the badges - I need to see how much is on my list without having to open the app every time.

Just checked out the new ā€œComplicationsā€ in v2.0.2 and was super happy to see the app badge return! Thank you!! :raised_hands:

2 Likes

For sure. And thank you all in this thread for making your case for them, itā€™s one of the smaller things in Clear I donā€™t use myself so was something of a blindspot.

1 Like