Stats in Clear (just an idea for now)

This is something David and I were exploring in mockup/sketch form some yesterday, some kind of stats section in Clear (tap into it for full size):

It could add another layer of satisfaction and progress to your ongoing use of Clear, and be something you might want to share and show off, which is a fun way for new people to find out about Clear.

We would want to keep its design pretty simple and grounded in Clear’s list form, so how compelling it is I think might rely on the specific stats or sections we curate.

Disclaimer: it’s a super early idea, definitely not planned in the roadmap yet. I’m curious how well (or not) it might harmonize with the rest of Clear, and what it might add to the experience, especially with the right iterations/corrections/refinements etc. But now we can all digest on this one together.

8 Likes

That looks great! Would it have statistics that already exist?

2 Likes

I like this idea! a stats page in Clear would be great !

1 Like

Probably some (most?) of them thanks to some reward tracking, but some would probably start fresh.

1 Like

Stats seem cool! I personally don’t care for the comparisons to Friends (blegh) and Todoist, but the concept itself looks fun.

2 Likes

Haha yeah those are very placeholder trivia. I guess the idea there is there would be some tier of fun trivia milestones each main stat would tick through. (I really liked a similar feature in Wii U Fit’s pedometer step tracking, felt satisfying to climb the height of the pyramids or walk the circumference of Central Park :smiley: )

1 Like

For me, I’m not sure how much use I’d get out of stats, unless it’s for reward tracking i.e. something with a definite end point or target, as opposed to ongoing ‘open-ended’ monitoring (Records, Top Tasks, Most Used etc). The existing Rewards > Advanced section already tracks unlock progress however, so even that may be a moot point for me.

I’m sure others may well find some value in this info, but I can’t see it really adding anything meaningful to my experience of using Clear FWIW.

1 Like

I like this! I think the comparison to trivia is a nice touch, otherwise it’s just a bit of “number go up” without any reference.

Maybe make sure that the stat numbers correspond with relevant numbers for rewards? I’d personally prefer a way to see “X of Y” or just “X” a lot of the time in the Rewards section, rather than the x% that it’s currently showing. 250 of 365 days is more meaningful to me than “75%” (or whatever that math works out to).

Past that, I think some visual reference of “leveling” would be nice, again since numbers can be a bit of a blind reference with few things to compare it to. Maybe have the background be a bar filling from left to right, with each “level” corresponding to a new bit of trivia being displayed (and the bar reset to empty)? So for instance it could be “6000 = more than Harry Potter the Goblet of Fire”, then the bar fills up and once it maxes out at, say, 9000 you get “ITS OVER 9000!!!”.

There’s a tricky balance here between making it fun and over-engineering/-cluttering it, but just a few quick thoughts here. I’m afraid otherwise it would be a thing I check 1-3 times, then bore with and never come back to.

1 Like

Yeah I do think the ‘leveling up’ angle is another one we could explore, not exactly a branching path but some real overlap with stats and it would certainly feel a lot more clicky if it’s tied to some progression/rewards in that way. Something to think on here, if that could be a more interesting/satisfying hook to start with perhaps.

1 Like